The Anzisha Prize seeks to award young entrepreneurs who have developed and implemented innovative solutions to social challenges or started successful businesses within their communities.
Application Deadline: 30th November 2021
About the Anzisha prize Award:
The Anzisha Prize is Africa’s biggest award for her youngest entrepreneurs aged 15 – 22 years, and hands out over USD $140,000 every year in business support and prize money to very young entrepreneurs from all over the continent
If you are a young African Entrepreneur trying to grow a small business or you’ve created something that provides you and your friends with an income, then we want your application.
Become a role model and inspire other young entrepreneurs to believe in the difference they can make in Africa, with the right support.
Africa’s future lies in your hands and we want to celebrate your potential to grow your country’s economy and create jobs.
Join Africa’s leading youth entrepreneurs to become an Anzisha Prize Fellows.
The Anzisha Prize is funded by a generous grant from the MasterCard Foundation.
Africa needs strong, innovative entrepreneurial young leaders to create jobs, solve problems and drive our economies. Our continent’s future will be determined by entrepreneurial leaders across all sectors. We believe fundamentally in the power of youth-led change.
Number of Awards: 12 young entrepreneurs will be selected
Eligibility: As you prepare to apply, make sure you are eligible to enter:
- You must be between 15 and 22 years old with an ID document or Passport to present as evidence. Anyone born before April 16, 1996 or after April 16, 2003 will not be considered.
- You must be a national of an African country with a business based in Africa for African customers/ beneficiaries.
- Your business must be up and running. The Anzisha Prize is not for great ideas or business plans – you must have already started, and be able to prove it! You have time to get started now and have tangible results to share before applications open.
- Your business, invention or social project can be in any field or industry (science and technology, civil society, arts and culture, sports, etc.). Any kind of venture is welcome to apply.
- Individuals who apply must be one of the founding members of a business (for example, 2 or 3 co-founders who started a business together). One person can apply for the Prize, on behalf of the team.
Selection Criteria: To be selected as one of our 12 Anzisha Fellows, your business or project will be judged on the following 5 criteria:
- Already Running Venture: Is the venture established with customers and beneficiaries? Does the venture deliver value to said beneficiaries and customers?
- Founder-led: Is the venture led and managed by the founder?
- Impact: Has the venture demonstrated some impact already?
- Scalability: If the venture is a for-profit business, does it already earn revenues and does it have potential increase revenues with the support of Anzisha? If the venture is a not-for-profit enterprise, does it already reach beneficiaries and does it have the potential to reach many more beneficiaries with support from Anzisha?
- Job Creation: Has the venture created some jobs and has the potential to create more high quality jobs?
To be selected as one of our Anzisha Fellows, you must demonstrate the two following qualities:
- Venture leader: Are you the leader of your venture and do you drive both venture strategy and operations?
- Commitment: Do you spend at least 20 hours a week or more on your business and will you continue to do so after selection?
Value of Award: The Anzisha Prize is a venture building fellowship program that has successfully supported and championed very young entrepreneurs for over 10 years.
The fellowship is a three year program that celebrates and rewards business growth.
During the course of the three years, the program will track the performance of the business and the entrepreneur. Businesses that show exemplary growth and initiative are rewarded with benefits and services such as short courses, cloud services and cash stipends.
At the end of the second year, entrepreneurs will pitch their businesses and successes for a chance to win their share of prizes to the value $140 000.
The Grand Prizes are split into 4 categories
- The Job Creation Prize
- Revenue Growth Prize
- Storytelling Prize
- Integrating Systems and Processes Prize
At the end of the three year fellowship, the fellows will graduate and join the Anzisha Prize alumni network.
Timeline/Duration of Award: The fellowship is a three year program
20 October 2021 – Applications Open
31 November 2021 – Applications Close
January – March 2022 – Phone Interviews, Assignments and Due Diligence visits
April 2022 – Announcement of Top 26
August 2022 – Anzisha Prize Induction
How to Apply: APPLY NOW!
Download the Application Guide:
The Applications Guide is packed with useful information and guidance to help you submit a high quality application you feel confident about. This year we are thrilled to welcome our tenth Anzisha Prize Fellowship, and we can’t wait to celebrate your achievements with the world!