Global Korea Scholarships 2022-2023 opened for applications online globally. Global Korean Scholarship (GKS) is the changed name of the Korean government scholarship. This GKS scholarship provides an undergraduate or bachelor’s degree and associate degree to all the students who apply and got selected in this scholarship program. The Global Korea Scholarship program includes almost all universities in South Korea. There are a total of 220 scholarships present for international students in this Global Korea scholarship program.
Deadline 20 October 2021
The objective of GKS:
The main motive of the GKS scholarship is to provide opportunities to all the international students who want to excel in their field and who are motivated enough to make a change in the world. Side by side South Korea enhances their international exchange and mutual friendship among different countries by providing opportunities to international students through this scholarship program.
GKS Scholarship duration:
For bachelor’s degree: 5 years including 1 year of a Korean language program. For associate degree: 4 years including 1 year of a Korean language program
Global Korea Scholarship Benefits:
- Fully funded Korean Scholarship
- Free air return ticket from home to Korea
- Settlement allowance of 200,000 KRW
- Monthly allowance of 900,000 KRW
- Free training of Korean language for 1 year
- Admission fee waiver of Korean Universities
- Medical insurance of 60,000 KRW per month
- Korean proficiency grants of 100,000 KRW per month
- Degree completion grants of 100,000 KRW (provided once)
Global Korea Scholarship Eligibility criteria:
- An applicant must be a citizen of the country listed in the Global Korea Scholarship program.
- An applicant must not be a permanent resident of Korea.
- An applicant does not have dual citizenship.
- An applicant must be under 25 years of age.
- An applicant must be a graduate of high school.
- An applicant must have a GPA of 80% for this Global Korea Scholarship Program.
- An applicant must be physically and mentally fit and have the clearance medical report.
Process to Apply for Global Korea Scholarship
You can apply for this Korean scholarship through the embassy track or university track.
#1 Embassy track:
125 lucky students from 67 countries will get admission in an undergraduate degree through the embassy track by successfully pass through the 1st selection process of their respected country.
#2 University track:
Korean government grants the Global Korea Scholarship committee permission to recruit 72 international students from 72 countries for a bachelor’s degree and 35 international students from 17 countries for an associate degree; to select for this scholarship program, an applicant must pass through the 1st selection process proposed by the respected university as well.
There are 3 rounds in the selection criteria of the Global Korea Scholarship program 2022. After passing all three rounds and getting a certificate of perfect physical and mental health, the candidate will get admission to one of the universities of South Korea in the field they have applied for.
The Korean government will prefer those applicants who fulfill the following criteria:
- An applicant who received TOPIK level 3 or above will get 10% more additional points during the selection process.
- Descendants of Korean War veterans will get 5% more marks during the selection process.
- Applicants who passed the English proficiency test like IELTS will be preferred.
- An applicant who has a proficiency certificate in any language will have preference over other applicants.
- Applicants who applied in the fields of natural sciences or engineering through the embassy track will be preferred.
- Applicants who applied for an associate degree and have a winning certificate of the national or international level will be preferred.
- Applicants who belong to low-income families or underprivileged areas will be preferred over other applicants.
Required documents for Global Korea Scholarship Application:
Following is the list of required documents for the Global Korea Scholarship program:
- GKS Scholarship Application form (form-1)
- Personal statement (form-2)
- Study plan (form-3), or Research Proposal
- 2 letters of recommendation (form-4)
- GKS applicant agreement (form-5)
- Personal medical assessment (form-6)
- Certificate of high school graduation (or expected graduation certificate)
- High school grade transcripts
- Applicant’s proof of citizenship document
- Applicant’s parent’s proof of citizenship document
- Awards and other certificates (optional)
- Certificate of valid TOPIK score (optional)
- Certificate of valid English proficiency test (optional)
- Proof of Korean war veteran’s descendants (only for Korean war veteran’s descendants)
- Proof of overseas Korean document (only for overseas Korean)
- Proof of Korean citizenship renunciation document (only for previous Korean citizenship holder
Important points for GKS Scholarship Applicants:
- All candidate’s documents must be written in Korean or English.
- All application documents must be in original forms. If an applicant has to submit photocopied documents, then the photocopies must be notarized, apostilled, or receive the consular confirmation and submit these certified documents.
- All documents submitted to NIIED will not be returned.
- Application documents must be submitted in the order of the checklist on the first page of the application forms.
- Each required document must be numbered and labeled on the top right corner.
- Any incomplete application will be rejected.
- Applicants who are expected to graduate at the time of applying must submit the certificate of an expected date of graduation.
- The recommendation letter must be written by 2 different recommenders.
- The recommenders must seal the recommendation letter in an envelope and sign on the back of an envelope.
- Photocopies are acceptable for awards and certificates.
- The proof of citizenship must be government-issued documents.
- Embassy track applicants must submit 1 set of original documents and 3 sets of photocopied documents.
- University track applicants must submit 1 set of original application documents.
Global Korea Scholarship Deadline:
- For Embassy track criteria, applicants must need to take an update from the Korean embassy in their home country, as they all have a different application deadline.
- For University track criteria, applicants must visit the official website of all the eligible universities listed in the GKS program.