Applications are now open for admission into the SARETI Masters programme.
The South African Research Initiative(SARETI)based at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa Is an African programme in health research ethics that offers a mix of online and face-to-face modular and applied training as part of a structured social science masters specialised in health research ethics.
Trainees are capacitated with the expertise to ensure that health research in Africa prioritises the welfare of research participants, individuals and communities as its primary focus. A key component of this training programme is to review protocols from a research ethics perspective that will enable and enhance support to Research Ethics Committees.
SARETI has been awarded competitive funding from the Fogarty International Center(FIC) of the US National institutes of Health (NIH), to offer Masters-level training in research ethics, beginning 2022. This two year programme is aimed at lawyers, social scientists and other professionals in the early stages of their career whose work relates to health related research and or research ethics. The programme will offer comprehensive advanced multi-disciplinary masters level training in research ethics to a cohort of 8 candidates from across Africa.
SARETI scholarships provide full financial support(travel, course fees, living expenses whilst based in South Africa attending on-site modalities, research expenses etc, for masters degree students for 2022/23
Eligibility for SARETI
- Ability to undertake travel to South Africa for 4-5 months of contact study in year 1(2022) and 1-2 weeks in year 2(2023)
- Have an eligible prior degree, preferably in law or social science
- Involvement in health research ethics, health-related research or law and/ or are willing to volunteer on a Research Ethics Committe in their country of origin
DETAILS FOR SARETI MASTERS (HEALTH RESEARCH ETHICS) PROGRAMME APPLICANTS:
With your Application please attach the following
- A brief CURRICULUM VITAE (not more than 5 pages).
- A 2-page essay (not more) MOTIVATING YOUR CHOICE IN RESEARCH ETHICS TRAINING.
- A LETTER FROM YOUR EMPLOYER specifying:
- Support for your proposed course of study
- Ensuring appropriate employment or promotion on return
- Ensuring time and opportunity for you to complete the research project after returning home.
- Copies of selected publications of yours in health research (maximum of 5).
- Photocopies of your highest qualifications (NB Certified copies or originals will be needed later on when you formally enrol).
- Certified copy of your Passport.
APPLICATION FOR EVALUATION OF CREDENTIALS:
If you have obtained your degrees at institutions outside of South Africa, you MUST APPLY to the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA) for evaluation of your credentials at:
Postnet Suite 248
Private Bag X06
Tel: +27 12 4315000 or https://www.saqa.org.za
While acceptance is generally based on merit and availability of places, applicants may be required to attend a screening interview before being accepted.
Note: SARETI teaching and evaluation is conducted entirely in English.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:MONDAY, 27 SEPTEMBER 2021 AT 8H00 CAT