Underground miners work in some of the most dangerous jobs in the world. They are tasked with extracting valuable minerals and ores from deep within the earth, often working in cramped spaces and unpredictable conditions.
Underground mining is a highly specialized field that requires extensive training and knowledge. Underground miners must know how to use heavy equipment, explosives, and other tools while also understanding geology and mineralogy.
Underground Miner Job Duties
Underground miners have a wide range of responsibilities, which can include:
- Inspecting equipment such as electrical panels, ventilation systems, and machinery to ensure that they are in good working order
- Following safety regulations, including wearing protective equipment such as helmets, hard hats, or eye protection
- Identifying hazards in the workplace and taking steps to eliminate them
- Monitoring production rates to ensure that work is being completed in a timely manner
- Reporting any accidents, injuries, or unsafe conditions to supervisors
- Cleaning up after an accident occurs, including clearing debris and repairing equipment damaged in an accident
- Operating machinery used for mining operations, such as drilling equipment for oil wells or large earth-moving equipment for digging quarries or mines
- Digging out rock from tunnels with hand tools or machinery such as drills and drills
- Maintaining detailed records of daily activities and progress
Underground Miner – Entry LeveL UG Haul Truck Operator
- Heavy equipment operation
- Driving Licence
Underground Miner – Entry Level UG Haul Truck Operator
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Work with an exceptional team of operations and maintenance personnel across the mine site
- Full-time (Permanent / Fixed-Term for 2023)
- FIFO position based at our Lac de Gras mine site
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are currently accepting applications for Entry Level Underground Miners to operate UG Haul Trucks.
You will be responsible for:
- Operating underground haul truck
- Identifying and responding to workplace hazards
- Ensuring your underground tasks are completed according to set schedules.
- Performing basic maintenance on operating equipment (pre-start checks, refueling, lube fill, washing down);
- Performing related duties and activities as directed by the Underground Supervisor or as required.
Located at the Diavik Diamond Mine, you will be working on a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotation in the interim (alternating night shift and day shift) rotational schedule on a 12 hours per shift day.
What you’ll bring
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Strong safety mindset
- Previous work experience in equipment operation
- Heavy Equipment Operators course considered an asset
- Valid Driver’s License
- Keenness to work in an Underground mine environment
- Solid proficiency in reading and understanding manuals and written instructions
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team.
Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
ALSO READ: Edmonton Pump Service In Canada Is Hiring A Petroleum Service And Car Wash Technician In 2023: Apply!
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents.
Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs In Canada
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs In Australia
- LATEST Jobs At The United Nations
- LATEST Visa Sponsorship Jobs
- LATEST Entry Unskilled Jobs
- LATEST Fruit Picking Jobs
- LATEST Caregiver Jobs
- LATEST News And MORE!
God Bless And All The Best !!