Unemployment benefits ensure that many citizens/immigrants who are unemployed through no fault of their own can be assisted financially so that they’re able to survive. Thus, the unemployment benefits serve as temporary financial assistance while these set of people search for new employment opportunities.
In this article, you will learn how unemployment benefits works, how to check your eligibility for unemployment benefits, and how to apply for it.
Unemployment benefits also called unemployment insurance or unemployment compensation. In Canada, unemployment benefits is a program where government or authorized bodies make payments to their citizens who are without jobs.
This program payments are made available also to immigrants not working but living in Canada. In many countries, unemployment benefits are funded by their government through the insurance system. That’s why it’s referred to as unemployment insurance benefits.
Lack of Employment for New Immigrants
So often, new Immigrants in Canada are faced with lots of barriers, and these barriers come between them and many job opportunities. Because of their lack of employment, they require considerable financial help in other to maintain a livelihood.
Unemployment benefits for new immigrants in Canada pays unemployed new immigrants living in Canada. a substantial amount that can help them till they get a job.
Currently, the government of Canada makes payments to any immigrant who has lived in Canada for up to four years. And becomes a Canadian citizen and has lost his/her jobs an unemployment benefits of up to $2000 per month.
You may be wondering; who pays for unemployment insurance? Well, the unemployment benefits program is funded by taxes the government collects from employers, including state taxes. The employers pay these taxes on behalf of their employees.
How Do Unemployment Benefits Work?
- Unemployment benefits for new immigrants in Canada allows new immigrants to receive subsequent cash in form of wages or salary while they’re in search of a job.
- As new immigrants you can apply for unemployment in your state by contacting your local unemployment insurance agency online or in person or through a phone call.
- Not everyone is eligible for unemployment benefits of insurance in Canada there are criteria’s to determine who is eligible for unemployment this brings us to who is eligible for unemployment benefits.
Who is Eligible for Unemployment Benefits for New immigrants
Unemployment Benefits are available for both citizens and immigrants in Canada. Although, before you apply, you should know that each state sets its guidelines for eligibility of unemployment benefits because all states follow the same guidelines established by federal law. You are eligible if you are;
- Employed in insurable employment
- Unemployed through no fault of your own: In Canada, this means you must have separated from your previous job due to a shortage of available work, or are new to the country and still seeking for a job.
- have lost his or her job through reasons out of his or her control
- must be willing to work but can’t find a job
- Meet any additional state requirements
Do you think you’re eligible for unemployment benefits? Find out here
Unemployment Benefits for New Immigrants in Canada
There’re different unemployment benefits that new immigrants can enjoy. However, these are common;
- Unemployment Regular Benefits
Unemployment regular benefits provide regular benefits to individuals who lost their jobs through no fault of their own, including newcomers in Canada. For example; many people lose their jobs as a result of work shortage or mass layoffs.
This means that they can work but can’t find a job. More so, Immigrants who are unable to get a job can apply for unemployment benefits for new immigrants in Canada
- Unemployment Insurance Sickness Benefit
Unemployment Sickness Benefits provides 15 weeks of Financial Assistance if immigrants are unable to work due to medical reasons. In addition, Immigrants get up to 55% of their earnings when they apply for this benefit. However, to apply for this benefit you’ll need to get a medical report to show that you’re unable to work.
For example, illness injury quarantine or any medical condition that stops you from working. This not be much of an issue for anyone who has a medical/health issue that stops them from working.
How to Apply for Unemployment Benefits for new immigrants in Canada
- Seek the help of an employer/human resources department to get information about the unemployment benefits in your state.
- Visit or contact your state unemployment benefits program as soon as possible after becoming unemployed or migrating.
- Be ready with their date of employment and their employers contact address for
- Normally, you should file your claim with the state where you have worked. As a new immigrant who have worked in a state other than Canada or if you worked in multiple states, the state UI agency where you now live in Canada can provide information about how to file your claim with other states.
- After applying, don’t hesitate to call or follow up on the employment insurance agency if you’ve not heard back from them on your claim.
- Reapply appeal if your claim is denied.
In conclusion, you can contact the employer contact center for more information on unemployment benefits for new immigrants in Canada.
Contact the Employer by Phone
Canada and the United States:
- Toll-free: 1-800-367-5693
- TTY: 1-855-881-9874
Outside Canada and the United States: 506-546-7569 (collect calls accepted)
Hours of operation: 7:00 am to 8:00 pm, Eastern Time, Monday to Friday.
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs In Canada
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs In Australia
- LATEST Jobs At The United Nations
- LATEST Visa Sponsorship Jobs
- LATEST Entry Unskilled Jobs
- LATEST Fruit Picking Jobs
- LATEST Caregiver Jobs
- LATEST News And MORE!
God Bless And All The Best !!